Back

Family left homeless after damaging fire swept through home
January 3, 2018

Share

ELIMSPORT - An Amish family was left homeless last week as flames burst through the top of their home in Washington Township.

According to Jim Raemsch, assistant fire chief of Washington Township Fire Department, the fire began at the 1735 Gap Road home after the family had left a door to a coal stove open.

"The homeowner forgot it was open and mud from the chimney dropped down," Raemsch said. "It allowed the heat and embers to ignite the house."

The family a man, woman and their three children - were not in the house during the fire, which was showing flames from the front of the building. A neighbor called 911 at the sight of the danger and the family arrived at the scene some time later. Their four dogs, two adults and two puppies, didn't make it out of the house.

The fire spread fast from the stove because of the wood home's lack of insulation, according to Raemsch, but the stations at the address were able to put out the flames before they destroyed the entire home.

"We were able to make a good knock down to stop it from getting to the back," said Raemsch. "Some stuff in the back was salvageable."

Stations reporting at the scene were Washington Township Fire Department, Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Co. and Warrior Run Area Fire Department.

Share

Regular Size The Luminary